Did You Know?
- The Radio Category at Cannes was only introduced and recognised in 2005 (about time!)
- 2012 Radio Jury President and Net#work BBDO ECD Rob McLennan has an impressive collection of more than 35 Cannes Lions.
- The radio judging procedure takes place from Saturday to the Tuesday at Cannes Lions. During the first two days, the jury is divided into two sub-juries, each group listening to one half of the radio ads submitted, to get to the shortlist. After this first voting round, the jury work together as a single team to vote on the shortlist, deliberate and eventually award the Grand Prix, Gold, Silver & Bronze Lions. At each voting stage, conflicts of interest and possible patriotic votes are automatically neutralised.
- South Africa had the highest number of entries in the radio category. To see how many made the cut, click here for a quick peek at the shortlist and here for the full list of radio winners
- Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey was named Cannes 2012‘Media Person of the Year’
- Former U.S. President Bill Clinton was one of the key note speakers at Cannes this year. After queuing for what seemed like ‘forever’ in the extremely hot and humid heat of the Cannes Le Croisette, delegates got to hear his presentation on ‘How Advertising Can Help Build a Better World’. Click here for some excerpts from his speech and other presentations we attended.